Magog: Unguarded
Magog: Unguarded
Swarming Around... cats living with dogs... total chaos.

Monday, May 05, 2003


At the risk of flogging a dead horse, I am still mystified by the vilification of William Bennett in some quarters. Even Glenn Reynolds refers to Bennett as "moralizer turned hypocrite." My problem with it is that it automatically assumes gambling is immoral. We've already determined that Bennett makes no such claim. How, then, is he a hypocrite? I can understand that someone who writes a book entitled The Book Of Virtues is opening himself up to criticism but this still strikes me as irony more than hypocriticalness. UPDATE: Ok, I swear this is the last I will say about this. . .for now. Jonathan Last has this to say in The Weekly Standard:
I don't understand what the big deal is. The news that Bennett gambles big-time isn't new. In 1996 Margaret Carlson reported that Bennett won $60,000 in a single outing in Las Vegas. Of course being old news wouldn't matter if it was a serious charge. But legal gambling is, well, legal.

Ok, in 2001, I won almost the same amount. Does that make me a bad person? I, like Bennett, only gamble with funds which are affordable to me. I, like Bennett, have no moral compunction about gambling. Am I a hypocrite?

ANOTHER UPDATE: I can't leave it alone. Jonah Goldberg bolsters my last point:

But the biggest reason I find these Bennett articles so troublesome is what they reveal about the kind of society we're building. Hypocrisy is bad, but it's not the worst vice in the world. If I declared "murder is wrong" and then killed somebody, I would hope that the top count against me would be homicide, not hypocrisy. Liberal elites — particularly in Hollywood — believe that hypocrisy is the gravest sin in the world, which is why they advocate their own lifestyles for the entire world: Sleep with whomever you want, listen to your own instincts, be true to yourself, blah, blah, blah. Our fear of hypocrisy is forcing us to live in a world where gluttons are fine, so long as they champion gluttony.

And I guess that summarizes why I am mystified those so quick to attack Bennett. They hate him, but they manage to hold him to a higher standard than those they support.

posted by the wolf | 4:12 PM
on this

links
contact info
search
archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com