Magog: Unguarded
Magog: Unguarded
Swarming Around... cats living with dogs... total chaos.

Thursday, May 08, 2003


Glenn takes a weak stand against banning gambling:
As a libertarian, I'm against bans on gambling. But, that said, I actually think that gambling is probably more socially destructive than many things that morals-types crusade against, like, say, sodomy. Gambling, after all, sends the signal that the best way to get rich isn't to work long and hard, but to look for the quick score. (Even worse, that message is specifically a lie in the context of gambling, where long-term players generally wind up cleaned out.) Call me crazy, but that seems to me to do more to undermine society than gay people getting married.

Ok, I agree that nosing into other people's business via sodomy laws is reprehensible, but I don't think this is an apt comparison, since one thing has nothing to do with another. Gambling may be "socially destructive" to a relatively small number of people. This does not invalidate anyone else's right to partake of what is a legal and rather harmless activity. Glenn is betraying himself as another moralizer who thinks there is something innately wrong with gambling. Based on his argument, I could make the same observation about those who are addicted to shopping. The penchant for Americans to get themselves into debt is caused much more by people buying things they can't afford than by gambling, yet no one would advocate outlawing consumerism. Put it this way: I spend $3000 I can't afford gambling and lose it. OR, I spend $3000 I can't afford on an extended vacation. What is the difference? The difference is that some people can't fathom spending money on gambling, but everyone enjoys a nice vacation.

It's my money, and I'll do what I damn well please with it. I think that's a much more libertarian view.

posted by the wolf | 4:34 PM
on this

links
contact info
search
archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com