Magog: Unguarded
Magog: Unguarded
Swarming Around... cats living with dogs... total chaos.

Thursday, May 08, 2003


Maybe I am oversimplifying things, but I can't think of one rational reason the UN cannot lift sanctions on Iraq. That is, I can't think of a reason that doesn't involve the UN keeping its bureaucratic claws in Iraq's economy. Is it any wonder that it's France and Russia that are opposed the US' call for an immediate lifting of sanctions and a phase-out of the oil-for-food program? It's clear that these two countries have their own interests in mind rather than that of the Iraqi people.

Scott Ritter has been very vocal about his opposition to sanctions. Where is he now? Why is he not crying out over the injustice imposed by France and Russia?

A few pre-9/11 years ago, I came home from work one day to find a young idealistic gentleman at my front door with a clipboard. When I inquired as to his business, he explained that he was getting people to sign a petition to end sanctions on Iraq. I suggested he leave immediately. Frankly, at the time I was more perturbed that I was being confronted at my own door at the end of a long work day than I was at his goal. But I wonder where these idealistic liberals are now that it is the US that is trying to bring sanctions to an end. Was it a true desire to seek relief to Iraq or was simple anti-Americanism that drove their efforts before?

posted by the wolf | 9:26 AM
on this

links
contact info
search
archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com