Magog: Unguarded
Magog: Unguarded
Swarming Around... cats living with dogs... total chaos.

Thursday, June 05, 2003


Jose Canseco is claiming that the current baseball scandal wouldn't have happened if Sammy Sosa was white.

"I guarantee you if this were Mark McGwire or Cal Ripken Jr., a so-called 'protected athlete', an 'All-American' name, this would have never happen because I've seen things that some players have done, and they are white players and they're completely covered up ... if he were a white superstar player, this would never, never happen."

Now, I didn't see the game, but my understanding is that the events unfolded on live television. Is Mr. Canseco claiming that a white man's bat wouldn't have shattered? Or that someone slipped Sammy the corked bat because he is a Black Latino? I'm confused. I have seen replay footage, and no one on camera shouted, "He's a minority! Check his bat for cork!!"

"So this is an attack on his character. This is an attack on minorities in general, and I'm really disgusted with it. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I know that the media is a part of this."

I would howl along with the rest if, based on this incident, MLB officials started some minority-targeted witchhunt, confiscating all of the bats used by, say Barry Bonds, for x-rays. But that's not happening. Actually, the league disclosed immediately that Sammy's 76 Other Bats were all lumber. The "investigation" is being drawn out until after the Cubs-Yankees matchups are over. All I saw on sports news this morning were "media" clips of the ovation Sosa received when he took to the field at Wrigley last night.

If this is a media conspiracy targeting Sammy Sosa's character and minorities in general, they're certainly losing their edge. If anything, it sounds more like a Jose Canseco conspiracy to tarnish the media's image... For shame.

posted by Max Power | 9:25 AM
on this

links
contact info
search
archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com