Magog: Unguarded
Magog: Unguarded
Swarming Around... cats living with dogs... total chaos.

Monday, August 30, 2004


Is it too hard for Microsoft to allow their various products to work with one another? Using SQL Server this morning, I was attempting to edit a query with a long string of information pasted into Word. The text editor in SQL2000 is notoriously bad--not much of a step up from mainframe ISPF editor and inferior in more ways than I can detail here. So naturally I thought I could copy my query from SQL2000, paste it into Word to take advantage of its superior text editing capabilities, then paste it back into SQL to execute.

Ha ha! said Microsoft.

Single quotes turned into graphical characters that resembled quotes but were apparently unrecognized; spaces appeared between these mutant quotes and the internal values; my SELECT statement mysteriously appeared twice. I tried various fonts to see if the problem would be solved...nope. In short, I spent an aggravating 20 minutes trying to edit a query that should have taken 3 minutes to create and execute. All because MS created two products with text editing capabilities that don't appear to understand each other's methods of storing text data.

posted by the wolf | 1:52 PM
on this

links
contact info
search
archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com